Butter Buttons. Replace candy with good fat!

I think it’s uber (and when I say uber, you know I’m serious) that readers know bloggers are far from perfect.

We get frustrated.

We eat junk food.

We poop (I’m sorry, but it’s the truth).

We are human.

And part of being human involves bribing our children with small chocolate candies to get them to learn to use the toilet. I ain’t ashamed. I totally bribed.

Now that we’re a good four months into being potty trained, G-love is slowly being weaned off the M&M or jellybean she is allowed as a ‘treat’ after going – if she forgets to ask, I don’t bring it up. But for the time being, I’m still okay with her getting one for a successful…ya know…poo.

That being said, while I don’t mind giving her a ‘treat’, I am pretty sick and tired of having all that corn-syrup laden, artificially-dyed bag of goodies sittin’ around. If it’s not here, we can easily go without reaching into the bag…

…but once it’s in the house, all bets are off. That’s what I simply DON’T BUY CANDY EVER!

What I’m getting at is simply this: I’d like a better option for her treats.

And for a Weston A. Price whole-foodie, such as myself, I see no better option than butter buttons.

My friend Courtney brought these up again to me, though I remember making something quite similar in the past. Once I got the idea in my mind, I couldn’t let it go. So instead, I gave in to the delicious, healthy-fatty-goodness. You should too.

DSC_0010

Butter Buttons
You will need:
– 1/2 pound of grass-fed butter, chilled (use the highest quality butter you can find, like Kerrygold)
– 2-3 teaspoons high-quality cinnamon
– 3-4 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup

DSC_0028

Step One: Combine all the ingredients together in a food processor or mixer.

DSC_0032

DSC_0033

Step Two: Use a spatula to scrap the butter mixture into a small, plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag and slowly squish the butter out, like piping on a cake.

Step Three: On a plate (be wiser than me and put down some parchment paper!) gently squeeze the butter out of the bag into lil’ button size dollops of butter.

DSC_0034

Step Four: Stick the plates in the freezer until the buttons set. Then, gently remove from the plates and store in a mason jar in the freezer.

DSC_0010

Georgia loves, Loves, LOVES, LOOOOOVES Kerrygold butter. And I pretty much recognize it as a superfood. I am happy that she can now fill her little belly with nutrient-dense healthy fats instead of that nasty candy.

She gets so excited for them after she, ya know…

BUTTER TWEAT!!! BUTTER TWEEEEEEAT!!! she shouts with enthusiasm.

And, truth be told, I’ve been known to slip a few butter buttons into my morning cup of coffee. It adds a nice little fatty flair of which I am quite fond.

Fatty flair.

Now those are two words you don’t see together very often.

You know you’re in a traditional foods kitchen when you do.

DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I appreciate the support and love y'all have shown this 'ol blog and will only recommend products that I use, love, or covet. The end.

Comments

1. Jeanette_P says

This seems like a better idea than the hard honey candies I tried to make last weekend. It was a disaster! Thanks for the recipe

2. Sabrina :) says

I don’t have a mixer. Anyone done this another way or by hand? How about smashing everything together in a gallon ziplock bag? What do you think?

• Maria P. says

Sabrina, you and me both…I am with you on that one! Keeping it simple….I am sure this would work well enough. My health is serious right now and I must have simple. :)

• Jeanette_P says

I think if the butter is room temp there is no reason that it won’t smash up quite nicely if you just put it all in the bag and smash (but be careful not to bust the bag, I’ve TOTALLY done that!)

3. Naomi Devlin says

Yum, Yum! You could easily make these candy shop perfect by using a piping bag with a florette nozzle. I make something similar with butter, dates and cardamom, frozen in ice cube trays – butter fudge without the refined sugar!

4. Jeanette_P says

I just made these for the second time. This time I used molasses instead of honey, we really love it… this has me wondering about maple syrup ones

• Todd says

“Don’t worry about making them perfect. Unless your a perfectionist. Then this may not be the best task for you.”

Excellent.

5. Sara@AJoyfulMother says

This is TOO funny. I am in the middle of potty training my son and refuse to buy candies to bribe him. However, I am not beneath MAKING something treat-like for him. I remembered seeing this post on FaceBook somewhere and Googled it. And you use these for potty training treats too!! How neat! Do you have to use unsalted butter?

• Kamala George says

i use 1/2 salted kerrygold and half coconut oil…i just cannot find the unsalted kerrygold in my town…good butter makes all the difference.

6. says

Tag this for pregnant ladies! My nutritionist (also a Weston A. Price uber-fan) had me putting Kerrygold on everything and anything pre-conception and during pregnancy and still, during breastfeeding. Also, I’m low on Vitamin D, and the D in Kerrygold can’t hurt!

7. Liv says

Oh this is exactly what I needed to see today. I’ve accidentally gotten my girls addicted to mini-marshmallows

8. says

Finally made these last night; they are addicting! I used salted Kerrygold butter, 2.5 tsp cinnamon and 3.5 tbsp honey and they were too strong, so I added 6 more tbsp of butter and they are great! Still darker than yours, though. I see a lot more batches of these in my future ;)

9. Angie says

I’m making these today, but instead of cinnamon, I’m going to use peppermint essential oil to make them like butter mints! Can;t wait to taste them!

10. Susie says

I like to remind moms that it’s only a BRIBE if what you’re trying to get them to do is unethical! If it’s not, it’s just an incentive!!! Now, don’t you feel better!! :- )

11. Kelsye says

What could you subsitute for the honey. My 9 month old loves kerrygold butter but I do not feel comfterable giving her honey just yet.

12. andrea says

I’ve been using elimination communication with my second child since he was 6 weeks old. He was signing to go to the potty at 4 months, almost completely trained at 18 months (but some regression during the summer). I’m sure he will finish this fall around his second birthday. I will NEVER go back to American potty training. It has been awesome, and no bribes necessary! Look forward to trying the candy.

13. Christy Mattingly says

So, it’s basically just frozen honey butter with cinnamon. Around the holidays, I sometimes make honey almond butter. You would just use almond extract instead of cinnamon. I may have to try this for my little butter thiefs who like to take the tub of KG and hide under the kitchen table. lol

14. Heather Keatts says

Just whipped a bit of this up as a treat last night, amazing! Unfortunately it confirmed that right now I can’t tolerate butter, but hopefully someday! So, so good. Thanks for this idea!

15. fancynonsense says

I absolutely love this idea! I just whipped some up using vanilla extract instead of cinnamon (didn’t have any). I can’t wait to share them with my little ones tonight! Thanks for such a sweet idea!

16. Lynn says

These sound interesting. I’m not sure if I could stomach the buttery taste that often, though. My “treat” to myself is a bit of plain coconut manna/butter on a spoon. I’m guilty of diving into the jar with a spoon when I’m by myself… :)

17. Tammy Henry says

If you get addicted to things easily…..DON’T MAKE THESE! :) OMG, they are so freaking good. My 15 month old wouldn’t stop whining for more, and good and bad thing! I also added a little organic vanilla extract. Yummy

18. TeaJae says

What a wonderful idea thanks for sharing, this would have never came to me just fabulous. I just found out about Kerrygold butter a month ago. My local market does carry it not the unsalted version. I’ll ask if they can. When I first tasted it I was so shocked and surprised at how superb and creamy it was. I was blown away. Its all I use now. I have to see if Costco carries it. I will make this tonight, sometimes you need a little treat.

19. Faith says

Thanks for the idea … I made them today! Wonderful treat. I only used 2tbsp of maple syrup and they were plenty sweet for my taste.

20. Kate says

This sounds so good! I always forget that butter+sugar =icing. I have trouble with dairy but I will try this with tallow. Yum!

21. Charney says

Why would you purchase butter to make this if you have your own cow? Agreed, KerryGold is wonderful, but, having your own is the best.

22. Katarina says

Hey Shaye, for anyone who can’t tolerate butter, suggest to them that they make this with just coconut oil and its still delicious. I make something very similar that is just coconut oil slightly warmed to be easy to mix with a fork, some honey, a bunch of finely chopped ginger and optional hemp seeds or anything tiny for crunch. Mix it up with a fork and store in a glass jar in the fridge to eat by the spoonful, or put in the fridge for long enough to get hard enough to make little balls by hand. put on a plate back in fridge till hard, then put in a container and store in the freezer for treats. I love the combo of ginger and coconut oil and its incredibly healthy as a treat. I do very minimal honey cause the ginger is strong and you don’t need much sweet.

23. Kristin says

Hi, I just tried making these using Kerrygold butter, fresh ground cinnamon, and raw honey. The problem I’m having is that it’s getting really, really watery. What would be causing this?

24. anne says

amazing years ago we were told not to eat butter now it is regarded as a health food how is that can someone explain how butter is a health food can you not over indulge on to much butter?

25. ANITA BROWN says

OMG……Kerrygold! My favorite. I wish it was as cheap as it is over in Europe at like 99 euro cents per 500g…..sigh. I may be creating this in the very near future to resolve my sweet tooth.

• Frederica Huxley says

Alas, I don’t know where you got the information that Kerrygold is 99euro per 500g – just rechecked Tesco/Waitrose prices and it is £5.40 (6.55euro or $8.66)!

26. says

I can’t wait to try these with my 2 year old!

And for the record, I LOVE reading you blog. It always feels like you’re just chatting with friends. :)

27. Barb R. says

Oooh…. what about an adult savory version with butter, almond butter and pizza type seasonings or curry type seasonings. No honey or maple syrup. Or melted dark chocolate, peanut butter, butter and a little English toffee stevia. I could think of a ton of combinations….

28. Maggie says

Thank you for sharing this!! I don’t need a treat every time I, you know, lol….but I do need something to help the sweet cravings as I detox from sugar. I think this will be just the thing!!