Traditional Soaked Whole Wheat Bread.

To date, the most popular post by far on my blog has been the soaked whole wheat bread recipe, which you can find here.

That being said, ahem, I have a new soaked whole wheat bread recipe to share with you.

I know, I know.  I’m sorry.  I don’t mean to keep complicating your life.  But here’s what I like about this recipe:
1.  It uses less ingredients, which just makes it easier
2.  It uses less ‘expensive’ ingredients, like less butter and no vital wheat gluten or honey
3.  It tastes much more like a traditional whole wheat bread

Now don’t get me wrong, I still love our old soaked bread recipe.  But I’ve found this new bread to be less crumbly and tangy, which really lends itself well to sandwich making and cinnamon toast.

And since today is officially Stuart’s first day as a teacher, and since I will soon be packing sandwiches in his lunches, I thought to myself ‘Self, when’s a better time to share the new soaked whole wheat bread recipe than today.’

I couldn’t think of a better day, except maybe National Sandwich Day, so here we are.

If you’ve followed my blog for any amount of time, you know that we take the time to soak all of our grains – especially our wheat, which helps to break down phytates and aids in mineral absorption.  Overall, it makes it much more digestible for our bodies and especially those with gluten sensitivities.

And really, it’s not much harder.  Here.  I’ll show you.

Traditional Soaked Whole Wheat Bread
The soaker and sponge will both be prepared the day/night before you wish to make the bread. And remember, freshly ground wheat is always best, but use whatever you can (see sources for wheat berries!).

Soaker:
In a small bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1 1/2 cups of milk plus 2 tablespoons of vinegar (I use raw apple cider).

Sponge:
In your stand mixer, combine another 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and 1 1/2 cups of filtered water plus 2 tablespoons of vinegar.  Mix for five minutes.  Let rest for five minutes, allowing the wheat to hydrate.  Mix for 1 more minute.

Cover bowl of the bowls with a plate or plastic wrap and set aside until the next day.

Final Mix:
Combine all of the soaker and all of the sponge in your stand mixer.  Add in 1 teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 5 tablespoons of Rapadura (or sweetener of choice…though I’ve read honey will make it denser), and 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast.  Knead for 6-8 minutes in your mixer, or 10-15 minutes by hand.

At this point, you may need to add a bit more flour to get the bread to the right consistency.  I added about 1/2 cup of extra flour.  You want the dough to be pulling cleanly off the sides of the mixer but still be sticking to the bottom of the bowl.  It can take practice to learn where the ‘magic spot’ is with your dough, but just keep trying.  You’ll find it.  It’s really important to not add too much extra flour during this step – you want the dough to be still sticky, but at least manageable.

When the dough is kneaded and to the right consistency, transfer it to a buttered bowl, cover, and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours, or until you poke it with your finger and the hole doesn’t fill it.

Divide the dough into two equal pieces.  On a floured surface, gently shape the dough into a loaf, tucking the sides and ends under.  Here’s a few photos on shaping loafs from the past bread recipe:

Place each loaf in a buttered bread pan and allow to rise for another 45 minutes-1 hour, depending on the warmth of your home.

Again, knowing when the bread is ready takes time.  You don’t want to let it over rise, or you’ll end up with bubbles and possible a collapsed loaf or two.  But don’t let it rise enough, and you’ll end up with a flat, dense loaf.  The more you make it, the easier it will be for you to know exactly what to look for in your specific pans.

I probably could have left mine out to rise for a bit longer, but I was in a rush.  Wonderfully, the bread was not in the least bit dense.

When the loaves have risen to your liking, place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, or until they are a dark golden and sound very hollow when tapped with your finger.  I tend to error on the side of over-done, as there’s nothing worse than cutting into a freshly baked loaf that’s still doughy in the middle.  Ain’t no comin’ back from that.

When the bread is finished, remove it from the oven and transfer to a wire rack until cool.

Ah, who are we kidding.  I never wait until it’s cool before I shove my face in there.  Today, I enjoyed my fresh bread with some dijon, cheddar cheese, and salami.  It was fantastic.

If you didn’t ‘know’ this was soaked bread, you would have no idea.  There is no tell-tale tang from using yogurt, which is nice when you want a neutral bread.  It just has the pure, delicious, wheat-y goodness.

And it’s easy.

Once you find the magic spot for the dough rising, that is.

Enjoy!

DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I appreciate the support and love y'all have shown this 'ol blog and will only recommend products that I use, love, or covet. The end.

Comments

1. says

have you ever made this bread not using a mixer? i don’t have a mixer so i usually find it difficult to mix my soaked grains with other ingredients ~ it just does not blend well. any suggestions? perhaps a food processor?? thanks.

• says

My food processor came with a ‘dough blade’ that would probably work for mixing the soaked grains together. Honestly, they mix together very easily. I’d try it by hand first, knead for a few extra minutes, and see how it turns out. If it doesn’t work, you may be able to use the food processor.

• Julie says

This is the first bread I’ve been able to make here in CO that’s not crumbly! And I don’t have a mixer (that could handle bread). I mix it by hand (with a big wooden spoon) till it’s time for kneading & then do that by hand too. No problem! We love this bread! And I love that it’s soaked (altho I am curious about the reasons “why” behind many of the steps – for instance, why 2 separate soaks? why let it rest for 5 min before mixing again for a min?)

• Julie says

And why mix it for 5 min? And then another minute? Really wondering if I can skip these steps. So tedious by hand! Thnx!

2. Anonymous says

Cant wait to try this! Havent had the best of luck with the first recipe, most of the time, it has a hollow inside, and dough around it. Am I letting it rise too long the second time?

3. says

I will definitely be giving this a try! We love our Oatmeal Bread from More-With-Less, but this sounds great. :) Except I don’t have freshly ground wheat flour…but I do buy a high-quality whole wheat flour. :)

4. Anonymous says

Is the water supposed to be a certain temperature for this recipe? I’m new at making bread. All my previous attempts have been a dense no rise disaster. :(
    Jenni

• says

Jenni, don’t worry about the water temperature, since it will be sitting out at room temperature overnight anyway. If you’re having problems with rise, you may need to look into a new active yeast to try. You also may need to create a ‘happier’ environment for the yeast by placing the rising bread in a warmer location, such as a sunny window-sill or a slightly warmed oven. Hope this helps!

5. Anonymous says

I am only at the mixing state and am having an issue….when mixing the sponge part in my stand mixer I find the dough wraps itself up in the beater and just spins around….isn’t really mixing. I am using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and the same beater that you show your daughter holding. Is that the way it is supposed to be. Also the soaker part is very dry. Help! Made a disaster out of the other soaked bread recipe and hoping to have more luck with this one.

• says

If the soaker is really dry, add a bit more water until it’s a nice consistency. They should be wet enough when combined that you will need to add a bit more flour to really get them at the right bread texture. It may be helpful to break up the starter (or soaker) into small pieces and add them to the mixer one by one so they have a chance to slowly incorporate. I haven’t had a problem with them knotting up in the mixer here – but so many things can affect bread, especially humidity. Try to make it slightly wetter, break it up into pieces while you add them together, and see if this helps!

• Scribe says

If you have a Kitchen Aid you should also have the dough hook they provide. Try that and see if it helps. Also, I find sometimes that I need to slow the mixer down a little–or maybe speed it up. Play with it. Hope this helps. And there’s no such thing as a disaster! There are only Learning Experiences!!!

6. says

Hello, at the bottom of your post you say, “There is no tell-tale tang from using yogurt.” I did not see yogurt in the ingredients up above. Am I missing something? I would really like to try this and I want to get it right the first time.
    Thank you for posting!
    Laurie

• says

Hey Laurie! The previous soaked break recipe that I posted on the blog used yogurt instead of vinegar as the acid medium. Using yogurt gave the bread a slight tang. But because this bread recipe doesn’t use yogurt to soak the wheat, it has no ‘tell-tale tang’…I hope that clarifies!

7. heidi says

I love the idea of a delicious soaked bread. I am just getting into the recipe, but I see you comment about using yogurt, though it looks like vinegar is mentioned in the recipe in each step… am I missing something?

• says

Heidi, the yogurt I refer to is used in the other soaked bread recipe that I have posted. That one uses yogurt as it’s acid medium, this recipe uses vinegar. The yogurt lends a slight tang to the bread, which is absent from this recipe. Over all, I prefer this recipe to the other.

Let me know what you think :)

8. Jessica says

Okay, I have about a half dozen questions… I just mastered your original soaked bread recipe process so this ones is making me think. Ready?

Can I use lemon juice in exchange for the vinegar?
    So this recipe is oat-less, I bet I could swap out a 1/2 cup of wheat for oats if I wanted, right?
    What size are your loaf pans?
    Can I substitute soy milk for the milk?
    Can I substitute oil for the butter?
    The lady that originally taught me to make bread when I was first married did the double rise and jelly roll the loaf process. Then another person showed me a few years later (and it’s worked much nicer for me – I’m impatient and lazy) to just knead the bread into the loaf shape, do a single rise, and then bake. Do you know if that has any advantages or disadvantages? Honestly I’m almost afraid my loaf won’t rise the second time and I’ll be stuck with flat bread. ;-)

• says

Yes, you can use lemon juice instead. Yes, I think you could sub oats for some of the wheat but it may result in a slightly denser bread. Loaf pans are…standard, I guess? Not sure. You can sub soy milk for the milk but I wouldn’t recommend it…soy milk can be some shady stuff for us real foodies ;) Same with the oil – though coconut oil and olive oil would be good subs. I don’t know about the advantages or disadvantages of the double vs. single rise. I’ve had great results with the double but you could always try it both ways and see which works best for you!

• Jessica says

I think standard load pans are 4×8 but I use 5×9’s at my husbands request. Just means I have to play around to expand recipes sometimes.

I’ve learned the hazards of soy milk recently. While I haven’t yet purchased my own soy milk maker (which I’m not against, just really can’t commit to adding another “from scratch” step right now) I do now only purchase plain soy milk. The ingredients are soy and water. No sweeteners, no anything else. (Took a while to locate a brand that produces that. I buy it shelf stable in cases from Whole Foods.) My research has caused me to eliminate all animal products from my kitchen. (Although hubs still protests sometimes and brings home eggs for himself.)

Oh yes, olive oil is the only oil I use for eating. I have coconut oil but it’s residing in my fridge and the only thing I’ve used it for so far is baby but cream a few times. I’m still scared of my food tasting like coconut. ;-) (it’s fine in smoothies though)

Thanks for putting so much of your time into sharing with others!

• says

Did you look at it from both sides before deciding? Soy is bad for you, even if you make it yourself. The only soy that is okay is fermented (like tofu and ect). There are so many things wrong with soy. I used to love it but gave that up when I realized how bad it was. Some traditional cultures did consume soy but it was in fermented form.

Also, the Weston A. Price Foundation was based on a dentist who was concerned over the declining health of his patient’s teeth and decided to look into other cultures. His findings were based on what they ate and how many health problems or lack thereof that he found. He took the time to see what other people ate and did trials on people with some of what those people from other cultures ate and drank. He wrote a very good book http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Physical-Degeneration-Weston-Price/dp/0916764206

(maybe your local library might have it).. and the fact that he took the time to see what other people did and why some cultures had white straight teeth and mainly disease free and why everyone else had health problems.

I also think that the typical diet from our very first ancestors included meat from prehistoric animals and so our bodies are made to digest such foods. We probably wouldn’t be here today if they didn’t learn to eat what they did eat. Grass-fed and pastured meat from responsible farmers does us a wealth of good because those animals, that eat what they were made to eat, offer so much more nutrition for us all.

Big concerns would probably be heating olive oil at med. to high temp. which may make it carcinogenic. (cancer causing).

Coconut oil does have a slight coconut taste (I don’t like coconut) but after a few meals with it.. the taste seemed to disappear. I think you’ll get used to it and not taste it after a while. It’s so worth using to cook food with ! I’m not sure how you feel about chicken stock.. but it has been used for many years when a person is sick. It’s full of minerals and nutrients that our bodies need.

I’d be concerned about pesticides in fruits/veggies and traces in conventional factory meat, fluoridated drinking/cooking water, toxic cleaning supplies, chemicals in baby products and beauty and bath products (our skin is the largest organ and we don’t realize how much harmful ingredients we let into our bodies by the choices of things we put on our skin from chlorine and gunk from our shower’s tap water (unless you have a shower filter), to lotions and also hairspray.. we breath that stuff into our lungs whenever we use it meat from factories ( especially that have been fed an unnatural diet), white processed foods, microwaves, pasteurized dairy and pasteurized juice (destroys heat sensitive nutrients and enzymes .. would anyone heat an orange up before eating it?) ..

Whatever you decide .. please do a more thorough research before getting rid of so much natural food from your diet and keeping soy in it. Here are some links for you to look through (you don’t have to look at them- I just want to help because I’ve had enough sick people (family/friends/and family & friends of friends) who eat a certain way and their health is declining.. meanwhile my husband was warned off eggs (by a doctor) due to his cholesterol and he had high blood pressure.. He eats responsibly farmed meat, organic food, produce, Kombucha, plenty of farm eggs and butter, and raw dairy.. He went from his doctor prescribing pills .. to actually losing some weight and keeping it off (from whole fat dairy-no less !!) his pressure and cholesterol are normal, he hasn’t had stomach issues (lactose intolerant and ect) in a long time now. He couldn’t handle pasteurized dairy or pasteurized apple juice ! The heat process destroys what makes pure foods easy to digest. My best friend’s allergies rarely act up anymore, My teeth feel stronger (I had an accident as a child on a metal slide and ended up damaging one of my front teeth.. and was told that I’d need a root canal before it got infected. This was when I was in elementary school.. I was probably 11 years old. I’m in my 30s now and never got that tooth taken care of.. it was a little darker (from dead nerves?) .. it’s gotten lighter.. I’ve not had an infection, my tooth feels stronger ( must be minerals from raw dairy and chicken stock) unlike before when I felt the tooth breaking down slowly (every now and then I’d feel a sort of tiny grainy texture in my mouth like I had a little bit of sand in it (the break down of the tooth enamel)..

There’s so much positive things from different people in my life just from eating pure foods from nature more than man made stuff in boxes full of dyes, rancid oils (canola, soybean, vegetable), processed white food like Kosher salt (nutritionless) which is salt without the minerals we need for our bones and teeth (I started using Real Salt-which still has the minerals naturally found in salt.

I’m a fan of keeping what makes a food balanced (nutritionally) intact and not paying for junk like skim anything they make which they separate and sell the good stuff to other companies for profit.. you never think what they do with all of the good stuff in our food when they process it and give us nutritionally empty food.. maybe the minerals in salt are sold to companies to add to vitamins.. We wouldn’t need vitamins if our food wasn’t tampered with. I like going by WAPF (Weston A. Price Foundation) simply because it makes sense.. keep the food pure so the body can easily digest it.

Our body doesn’t know what to do with artificial ingredients and stuff like cereal and fake versions of real food like fake cheese, fake meat, extruded cereal, did you know that they’re even pasteurizing nuts now? Can they even make food any less empty?? ect. Our ancestors didn’t eat the food we do today and it’s no wonder why we here at the U.S. are famous for our declining health.. all of the processed foods we eat.. we don’t soak, sprout, ferment anything for more bioavailable increased nutrients and to reduce anti nutrients and phyctic acid.

More people are becoming gluten sensitive, have other food allergies, indigestion, and trouble concentrating (possibly the food dyes and fluoride).. Doctors are seen as authority figures.. so is our government… but they allow stuff here that’s been banned in other countries.. I smell profit.. profit in sick people.

Doctors are not higher beings. They are human. Just like us. I don’t think their education is as well rounded as it should be. I wish they would study naturopathy, homeopathy, and any unconventional treatments. I’m tired of them being quick to dish out pills.. that’s an old band aid that isn’t solving the problem.. . it doesn’t cure anything or and some even have side effects that can harm you in other ways.

I had carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). My doctor said I needed a brace and gave me pain medication. He said to come back in a few week and if I don’t get better then I’d need surgery in my wrist. That’s all .. pills and possible surgery. I went online and found Turmeric powder, pineapple, and ect are natural health foods that have anti-inflammatory properties (with CTS your wrist is inflamed on the inside ) and there are yoga hand stretches for that and I saw videos where they mention running hot water over your wrist for about 30 seconds then ice cold water for the same amount.. do that back and forth about 4 times back to back and to do it daily. I didn’t take the pills.. I took off the brace. I chose to listen to this instead of my doctor and It’s gotten so much better.. I don’t feel pain anymore and my wrist is no longer swollen.

Nature had it right. We just stopped listening to it and just started listening to “authority figures” tell us. http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/dietary-guidelines http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx

This video below is a no frills type of video. There’s no special graphics. I like how he makes it easy to comprehend the problem with soy. This is a good video if you don’t want to flip through articles and such. He covers just about everything.

9. Ramona says

Excellent! A smaller batch size since I almost burned up (kind of) my brand new mixer trying out the other soaked bread recipe :-). That recipe is yummy too, and the confirmation for my family is that my oldest will eat it and not pout because she wants white bread and my husband keeps on steeling crumbs from the loaf we have at room temp right now.

10. Sara R says

Hi, I just found you via some place I can’t remember now, probably Pinterest. I’ve been wanting to get good at baking a bread that my husband will find acceptable and that I deem to be healthy enough :). This looks to have great potential on both fronts. I do have a couple of questions and I hope I’m not requestioning as I haven’t read all the comments.

How important is it to use filtered water? Would boiled be a good alternative as we do not own a filter?
    What size are your bread pans?

I think I’m going to give this a go around today and tomorrow and see where I end up. Thanks!

11. Elizabeth says

I have tried so many different recipes for soaked wheat bread, but they just never taste good (really dense, and with a tangy, almost bitter taste that seems to come with soaking). I really want it to work for my family! I will try this one (and possibly your other recipe) and give soaked break one last chance because I know it’s supposed to be so much better for us. A couple questions (and I’m sorry if they’re redundant, but I can’t find them in earlier comments):

-Can I sub buttermilk instead of the milk/vinegar? We milk our own cow, but milk is kind of scarce right now. I do, however, have a lot of cultured buttermilk on hand (the kind from butter-making–not commercial “buttermilk”, which is much different). Do you think this would give it that tangy taste that my family doesn’t like?

-Do you think that a white whole wheat flour would work in this recipe? Right now I can’t grind it fresh, but I have been using the lighter-tasting white winter wheat flour in my baking and I’m hoping it will work for this, too.

Thanks so much!

12. Rachel B says

Just had to tell you how pleased I am with this bread recipe! I’ve made the Nourishing Traditions soaked whole wheat bread recipe and I could never get it to rise very well. I’ve just been making regular unsoaked bread. :-( This one turned out BEAUTIFUL and delicious! Thank you!

• Rachel B says

I just have to add that I made this recipe yesterday using homemade plain kefir in place of the milk and ACV and it worked really well.

13. Sara says

Oh my word! just made this bread and it is wonderful! My first attempts with fresh milled flour were pretty discouraging, but I was delighted to see how nicely these rose! Delicious too! thanks for sharing!

14. Krissy says

Finally! A bread that turned out as close to perfect as they come. Thank you! Quick question. I know it isn’t necessary, but do you have any experience soaking and making bread with sprouted flour? I’ve read that soaking further helps with gluten digestion. I want to try both but really don’t want to waste my expensive sprouted flour. :)

15. chesty says

any way you can adjust this recipe to make it that day as well as scaling down the portions for a samller loaf?

• says

Possibly, but that would defeat the purpose of soaking the wheat to break down the enzyme inhibitors. If you’d like a quick-rise, non-soaked bread, I’d look for a different recipe.

16. Monika says

First time ever making a yeast loaf bread and I’m so happy with the results (kids are too!). Thank you for a great recipe. No more store bread for us!

17. says

Tried this and it was great! I used the dough to make cinnamon rolls and cinnamon swirl raisin breakfast bread. Headed to make another batch to take with us on vacation. Thanks, Shaye!

18. Amy says

Been making this for about two months now. Thanks so much. I’ve been making one of the loaves into something different like cinnamon bread. Last night I tried garlic and cheese rolls. They were a hit!

19. Heather Booker says

I made this today and it was wonderful. I made with half white and half whole wheat bc it’s what I had but It turned out great…..and scaled it down to only one loaf bc it was a trial run and I have a tiny freezer. My husband (mr picky) and my daughter have eaten almost half the loaf already. thanks

20. Melanie says

I just made this and am in love!! Thank you! It is perfect. I used some teff, oat and almond flour at the end to get the right consistency and the loaf is chewy and delicious! You may already know this but it saved my bread making life so I thought I would throw it out there just in case…as a fool proof method for checking for doneness use a thermometer – 200 degrees is the magical bread doneness number. I don’t have to guess if the loaf is going to be doughy!! It always turns out perfect and makes it so easy! Thank you again! I can make delicious bread again and not worry about my gluten intolerant daughter.

21. Patrice says

Have you ever tried this with Einkorn wheat berries? My attempts at 100% Einkorn bread have resulted in bricks. I am in search of a soaked wheat bread recipe using Einkorn wheat berries. I grind them in my blender.

22. Kate Morrissette says

I made this recipe yesterday/today in my brand new KitchenAid 600 Pro. It is absolutely AMAZING! This is my first yeast bread that has turned out NOT like a brick. Thank you so much!

23. Bethani says

Just a couple questions, if I use buttermilk do I need the vinegar or should I just use the other bread recipe? Also, all I have on hand right now is white bread flour, can I use that? Would there be a different amount if I did use it? Thanks so much!!! Love love love your site and posts!! Thanks for sharing with us!!

24. Purple Piggie says

Are the consistencies of the soaker and sponge supposed to dough-like? I had to knead the soaker by hand to get it mixed together.

25. says

Got a little distracted and it rose over the pans but turned out amazingly crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Almost like a soaked Whole Wheat version of Italian Bread. Great and easy recipe!

26. Laura says

I LOVE this recipe! Thank you for sharing. Is it possible to add a printable recipe at the bottom of the page (so in all laziness, I can add it to my favorite recipe book…which is bursting at the seams and not have to use my computer every time I make it)?

27. July says

Hi,
    I just made this recipe but I didn’t realize you are using Instant yeast (hopefully, it still turns out :-/). I have active dry yeast but it isn’t instant so my question is…how do I adapt this recipe for use with my yeast? Would it still be ok to use if I activated it even in the soaker? Thanks! :)

28. missyb says

I made this bread the first time about a month ago. It was very moist. I used whey in place of the yogurt/vinegar and I could sure taste the ‘tang’ from it.( I was over excited about having made the whey from my goat milk share). We ended up eating it as toast or desert..with jelly or honey on it to hide the off taste.
    I just pulled the second test out of the oven and had a taste…WOW. So great. Easy to follow recipe. Used the apple cider vinegar in leu of whey and couldn’t taste a thing except wonderful, blissful homemade soaked wheat bread. Thanks so much for the instructions!!

29. Chelsea Randolph says

I just put my second batch of this bread in the oven. I love this recipe and how simple it is. I used a little less salt and a little more sugar in the second batch and can’t wait to taste it. I love how this bread stays soft and doesn’t go all crumbly when you make a sandwich. My family is hooked on this stuff and I love giving it to them. Thank you so much for sharing it!

30. Flo says

I just have the store-bought skim milk right now. Is THAT ok to leave out overnight? I’d feel better if it were raw. Thanks!

31. Flo says

And I should’ve added this: It seemed you were using ‘active dry’ yeast in one answer and ‘instant’ in another. I tried to look that up and it seems they’re two different yeasts. Did I miss something? Thanks, again!

32. Flo says

Thank you to the answers to both of my questions! I can’t wait to try this — except that I have to go find some instant yeast now! And it’s kind of late for today!

33. says

Have you ever seen a soaked whole wheat recipe that can work in a bread maker? I got a bread-maker for Christmas just last year (and then started learning more about soaking), and I’d love to know if there was a way to make it work in a bread machine. …Also have to add that I loved your testimony and your recipes! It’s nice to see Nourishing Traditions recipes with pictures!

• says

Alenna, I don’t know if this would work in a bread machine or not? I’ve never had one or worked one so I’m not exactly sure how they work. Sorry I can’t be of more help! Thank you for reading… we’re glad to have you here!

34. Paige says

One trick I’ve heard to avoid the dough-y centered homemade bread (oh the tragedy!) is to use one of those instant read thermometers….If it hits 190, you’re good and can take it out and let it cool! (I was never good at the “hollow thump” test…)

I use one like this….http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-5989N-Classic-Instant-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC4/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1385019218&sr=1-5&keywords=instant+read+thermometer

Super cheap and I have NEVER had a dough-y loaf after doing that! Sooooo exciting! Will have to try this! I have a lovely soaked oatmeal/wheat bread recipe, but it’s a tad crumbly for sandwiches.

35. Davi says

Okay, I am having trouble. I LOVE the inside texture and flavor of this bread, but my crust is rock hard and impossible to eat. What causes this and how can I fix it?

36. Julie says

So I’m curious what the purpose of mixing the sponge for 5min (& then again for 1min) is?
    Also, why salt in the soaker? I read somewhere that you don’t want to add the salt during the overnight soak as that prohibits what you’re trying to do with soaking it! ?
    Thnx! Love this bread – it’s my first that hasn’t been crumbly!

• Julie says

Oh ya, and why milk in the one & water in the other? I assume you could just use water in both but that the milk makes it a bit richer? Could one use yogurt &/or whey instead of the milk & ACV?

37. says

I just took this bread out of the oven and it is INCREDIBLE!!!! I actually let it “soak” for about 24 hours rather than overnight since I was away from the house literally ALL day (I was home for maybe 2 hours in the middle of the day, but other than that I left at 8:15am and didn’t return home until close to 10pm. Anyway, it is SO scrumptious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

38. says

Okay, I think I stumbled upon a real gem in your site! I love your unique layout & the way you present info in such a direct manner while still keeping your delivery fun. This soaked bread recipe seems like something I would really like to try soon. In fact, you have A LOT of recipes I’d like to try! :)

~Stephanie @sostephaniesays.com

39. Peter says

If I have to halve the recipe, common sense is to halve the ingredients. But am not sure whether I have to halve the yeast? Can you please guide? I have read different answers on various sites. Thank you for posting such a healthy recipe.

40. Rachael says

First time using this recipe was 4 days ago and I’ve already done it again! We are in LOVE with it! We finally can eat toast again, and sandwiches (well, I still need to get homemade mayonnaise in the mix first)! My kids are great kids! They complained a little about not having cereal, and toast and waffles etc.. for breakfast. But they weren’t too bad. And now that I’m slowly incorporating soaked waffles, and soaked bread and soaked english muffins and soaked biscuits into my routine, the kids are ecstatic! I’ve owned the Nourishing Traditions book for a few years now, but your blog is much more fun to read :). Thank you for taking the time :)!

41. MiCa says

Just wanted to say thank you for this recipe. I know this is an older post, but this bread is totally awesome. My entire family loves it!

42. Emily Davis says

Making this now. Is it normal for the soaker to turn a dark color on top only? It was almost grayish/brown. I used raw milk. Thanks!

43. Ang says

Hi Shaye! Absolutely love the bread recipe and so does my family! Do you know if I could do this dairy free? We are having persistant skin issues and our allergy doctor recommended no more dairy. :(

44. Michelle says

Hey Shaye,

Los Angeles Homesteader here. Been making bread for awhile now, but hubby and munchkins REFUSE to eat from a, in my opinion, amazing sourdough starter, so we have compromised on this recipe. Thank you. I switch and add all sorts of things, my favorite it fresh rosemary. We make this bread once a week and double duty when hubby asks for more sandwiches please! Big smile. May the Lord bless you and your family abundantly and show you His joy this week.

45. says

I have purchased your cookbook and just LOVE it! My kids have had some minor health issues we were dealing with and this book has helped bring back some foods that we love and miss. We use many recipes in it as our base for meal planning. I was just wondering if I could feature your soaked bread recipe on my blog as a coming post? I want to tell the world about your bread because it is so good. And thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes.

46. says

I just mixed up the sponge and started and have them covered and waiting. I haven’t had success with sandwich bread thus far so I’m keeping my fingers crossed! A couple of questions though:

Would maple syrup be good sweetener? I am out of honey at the moment. I also have raw organic sugar. I’m just wondering if one would be better than the other in your opinion.

How long should they soak? I just started them (10:30am) and am wondering if they need to soak 8 hours or if I should wait to bake them until the morning.

Thank you so much :) Always enjoy your posts. I actually found your blog randomly by searching my maiden name (Elliott) and am glad I did!

47. Mylinda says

I’ve been making this recipe without the milk (just use water again) and without the vinegar. It has been working great as far as consistency and flavor. I’m wondering if I’m still getting the nutritional benefits though. Why do you use vinegar? Why do you use milk? Why do you do two separate bowls? If I still leave it to soak overnight is it still going to release or eliminate (or whatever) the phytic acid?

48. Yvonne says

Shaye! Just…wow. I’ve tried a few soaked breads from other sites before this one. To be honest they seemed easier because they didn’t have a sponge and soaker. Yours just looked so good I finally decided to try it. The prep work to soak was really no big deal. The texture of the dough after kneading was soft and supple and just gorgeous. After rising I decided to bake them free form on pans. I didn’t let them over rise but when I put them in the oven…the oven spring was amazing. Two big beautiful loaves of bread. I wish you could see them. So wonderful. Thank you for an easy to follow, delicious recipe.

49. carleigh says

How should I store this, and can I freeze the extra loaf? I don’t want it to be rock hard before we can use it! Any tips on how to thaw it if we freeze it?

50. Leah says

I’ve been trying to find an enjoyable homemade bread recipe for some time now, and FINALLY one this is one that actually turned out for me (I’m a novice, so that could be partially to blame). I’ve tried a few other soaked bread recipes and they turned out so dense and hardly enjoyable that we kinda just took a break from bread. I like this recipe for it’s simple directions, taste, and it didn’t turn out dense. Most enjoyable recipe found so far!

51. Kimberly says

I just started milling my own wheat and chose this recipe for my maiden voyage ! I was nervous because I had to add an additional cup of flour,( I live in the desert, not sure if that’s the reason) and the dough was still quite wet. My loaves turned out beautifully! The taste and consistency are better than anything I have ever made or eaten. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I am trying your biscuits next!

52. Rachael says

I’ve been making this bread for over a year. It’s a weekly ‘chore’ in my household now. We love it!! I’ve had a question about it though that I’m hoping you can help answer. Or point me to someone who can. What’s the point of soaking the flour when so much unsoaked flour is added just two hours before it’s baked? I end up adding about 1 1/2 cups if extra flour. So 3/4 per loaf. I look at this as, “well it’s not as bad as all of it being unsoaked. Or worse, store bought bread.” But I’m trying to convince some friends that this is healthier than store bought because it’s soaked. And I’ve explained the phytic acids angle. But then to get them taking a lot of time to make bread that has unsoaked, phytic acid intact, flour in it, might be hard to convince them it’s worth it. Any insight on why it’s ok? Thanks!

53. Leah says

The ends slices out of my loaves are nice and intact, but after that when I slice, the pieces crumble. It is sad when you just want a slice of bread for a sandwich or a piece of toast, etc. Any suggestions on why my bread is turning out crumbly when sliced?