Perfect Pot Roast with Bouquet Garni
Whether it’s summer or winter, the perfect pot roast always seems to find a spot at our kitchen table. Because it can be prepared long before dinner time, it’s ideal for busy days when kitchen time is limited. A recipe this simple relies on the quality of each ingredient so invest in the best versions of these ingredients you can get your hands on. A dutch oven is non-negotiable on this, so if you haven’t invested in one yet, it’s worth it to do so. Your moist roast will thank you.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 pound bone-in rump roast
Sea salt & pepper
¼ cup wine
1 cup tomato sauce
3 cups stock
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 bouquet garni (a bundle of rosemary, bay, thyme, oregano, or whatever other herbs you have on hand)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
- Season the roast generously with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Gently brown the roast for 5 minutes per side.
- Add in the wine, tomato sauce, stock, garlic, onion, and bouquet garni.
- Cover the dutch oven with a lid and put it into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 275 degrees and continue to slow cook the roast for 5 hours, until the roast is fork tender.
- Serve the roast with a drizzle of the juice from the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.